Pink Princess Soup

For years, I had this idea that all borscht was that bright pink pureed thickness with swirls of sour cream in it.  Nothing about that sounding good to me, I have stayed away from it my whole life.

Until Soups and Stocks week at school.  One of my friend's last name actually means soup in Polish.  More specifically beet soup, or what most of us know as borscht.  Trust me, I was reading a recipe the week after, and sure enough, there was her last name in print.

She quickly volunteered for this recipe and I made a promise to myself to at least try it because she was so excited about it.  Turns out, that was a very smart decision.  Borscht isn't just what you see on WAY too many menus, weighed down with more sour cream then soup.  This soup was bright, hearty, and beefy.  While sweet, it wasn't too much and the texture was amazing.  Oh borscht where have you been all my life? I went back for seconds (and maybe even thirds).



Having all the ingredients at home, I decided this was the week to try it.  Like Katie had mentioned in school, it didn't seem like it was going to come together until the very end. But when it did, WOW was it good.

I took some with me to visit my little cousins today.  When describing the soup, and trying to convince two 4 year old kids to try it, Bella chimed in that it was like "pink princess soup!".  So after pouring some for 19th month old little sister Abigail (who devoured it by the way), Bella had herself a try.  She liked the "chicken" (or brisket!) the most, but she tried it.  After some convincing, her brother even tried some - and liked it.



I was so proud of them that they took this new Polish soup, renamed it to something that made them want to try it, and then had their own bowls.  While Abby made it to seconds, Bella and Jameson picked out the meat from their portions.

But at least they tried it, and I'm so very proud of them.

And from this day forward borscht will always be know as pink princess soup (with chicken).

Comments

Popular Posts