Irish Traditions

I'm 100% Irish.  Complete with citizenship.



My Nana and Papa immigrated from Ireland in the 1930's.  Nana came from Boyle, in Roscommon, and Papa came from from Taum, in Galway.  It actually wasn't until I was 23 that I was made aware that my Nana had even had a brogue!

They were devout Irish Catholics and raised their 3 children as such (my father, aunt and uncle).  The children continued in their strong faith, and my father absolutely loved to sing Irish songs.  Married June 1st, 1940 at Our Lady's in Newton they built their life on Hunnewell Avenue in Brighton MA.  My papa's rose bushes on the outside out the house were true beauty, and I remember them fondly.

My Nana did the cooking, which my mom tells me that I loved growing up.  There are very fond memories of blueberry muffins, chocolate-chip cookies and butterscotch pudding whenever we would come to visit that still bring a smile to my face.  I remember always checking her fridge for the pudding, and she rarely disappointed me.  My mom claims she also cooked a "damn good turkey" - she's the reason that my mom roasts with bacon (hallelujah!).

Her culinary hand-print on most of the family though was her Irish bread.  Even today, my little cousins gobble up this recipe.  However, her biggest imprint on me was the 'Nibbles with the Fordes' tray that I hold dear to my heart (and where my blog name stems from).

When, at age 90, she had to stop living by herself, the family got together to clean out her house.  During one of these days I found this wonderful, tacky, green dish with block lettering.  It's something right out of 1970-something but I absolutely love it.  I didn't care about getting her china or anything else - but I HAD to have that plate.


My mom made a comment that I might have to give this dish to my cousin Chris if I get married and changed my name.  Um. No. Absolutely not. I'm keeping this dish forever.

While you probably don't have a fantastic dish like this, at least you can enjoy my Nana's Irish bread. It's easy and delicious.  Just ask my young cousins.

Enjoy her piece of Ireland.



1 ½ c. raisins
1 ¼ c. milk
½ c. sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 c. all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 or 2 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
1 tbsp butter, melted (optional)
 
Mix all ingredients, in order, in a large bowl.  Pout into well-greased 8x8 inch pan or same size cast iron skillet.  If desired, pour melted butter over top and sprinkle sugar.

Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool and eat!
 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts