Lamb, Lamb and more lamb

I've always enjoyed lamb, but never craved it or couldn't wait to have it next.  All that has changed this week.



What started as a Monday lesson on lamb has become a week long lamb fest.

After listening to chef lecture about lamb (must be slaughtered under 12 months) and how important it was to remove the silver skin and as much fat as possible, we headed in to the kitchen. 

Not being on my A game due to a lingering cold, my partner and I started to clean up some lamb shanks to pop into a braise.  Even through my stuffed up nose, I could smell the amazing aroma that was coming off these guys. Never having eaten lamb shank before, I couldn't wait to dive in.


Glazed, plated and ready to go, our shanks joined a kibbeh naye, gigot persillade (boneless leg of lamb with a breadcrumb, herb and garlic coating), and abbacchio brodettato (baby lamb in egg and lemon sauce).  I gorged myself on lamb on Monday, not knowing when I'd have it again.


Then came Tuesday.

For our last butchering seminar, we were going to be hacking up beef and, what else, lamb.  We all got 4 ribs, and cleaned and frenched them. 



Then it was time to eat - again.  We broke some down in to chops, and roasted the other racks whole.  A simple mint hollandiase was made to eat along side.  And damn they were good.  Even at 9pm on a very long Tuesday of classes, I found the energy to savor each bite. 


I was lucky enough to bring some lamb home that night, which is now in my freezer waiting for a special day.  I just didn't think that I could eat any more lamb this week.

Then came yesterday.  I met my mom and aunt at Sportello's for lunch and couldn't draw my eyes away from the lamb ragu on the menu.  I went for it, and I absolutely do not regret my decision.  A nice way to round out my week long lamb fest. 

Lamb prepared 7 ways in 5 days.  Might be one of my best food weeks ever.

My friend in San Francisco has an I heart lamb bag.  I really need to get myself one of those.

Comments

Popular Posts