Indian take out (well, sort of)

The other night a friend of mine brought over Indian food.  He didn't pick it up on his way over though.  He called his mom in India for the recipe.  And let me tell you, it had authentic written all over it.



I made him sit down and spill the beans on the recipe, so I will warn/advise that I have not attemped to make this on my own.  I've cooked Indian food once, and it was under the watchful eye of my friend, so I can't be any help on the ease or difficulty of this recipe.

I do know, however, that I have quite a few friends that enjoy Indian food and would love a "I got this from my mom" authentic recipe.

The whole meal consisted of lentils, potatoes, rice and bread.  With just enough spice to make my nose run a little and tiny beads of sweat to form, it was so delicious.  The recipe below is for the lentil portion of it.  The potatoes were just diced, boiled, sauted and mixed with tumeric and chilis (to the best of my recollection).  They made quite a nice side to scrambled eggs as well.



Good luck and enjoy this little piece of India

Dahl Fry

1 c. dhoor dahl (yellow Indian lentils)
2 c. water
canola oil
1/2 tsp whole mustard seeds
1 large onion, quartered and sliced
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chilis, finely diced (Indian if you can find them, or substitue Thai)
1 tsp red chili powder or 1 red chili, finely diced (again, Indian or Thai)
1 stems worth of curry leaves
3-4 stems worth of coriander leaves

Soak lentils for 15-20 minutes in water.  Boil until tender, about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil.  Add mustard seeds, and cook until they pop.  Add onions and cook 5-7 mintues.  Add cumin seeds and green chilis.  Cook until onions are golden brown.

Once golden, add curry leaves and garlic paste.  Cook 2-3 minutes.  Add dahl into onion mixture.  Add chili powder or diced red chili, and salt to taste.  Cover, cook over high heat for 5-10 mintues.



Add coriander leaves and serve hot with rice and/or bread.

Comments

Popular Posts