A day for the dogs

We're making WHAT today? Is it Christmas?!?!!
Before we started our Whole30 challenge, we did a decent job of finishing up things in the fridge and pantry that would be no-no's.  The pantry items I wasn't as concerned with, as they will keep.  But the milk and the already grated Parmesan cheese had to go.  I realize the cheese would have kept, but looking at it every day was a temptation I didn't want to deal with.

Our Sunday Funday wasn't just about cooking for us.  We used the milk and the cheese to make some dog treats for Oshie.  When we first adopted her, I bought a cute silicone dog bone mold, with the intention of regularly making her snacks.  That was almost 10 months ago.  Unfortunately, the recipe we used wouldn't work in the mold, so back in the cabinet it went.  Perhaps I'll use it to make some "gotcha day" treats.  One can hope.  Luckily, a trip to Christmas Tree Shops the other day resulted in a cute flower cookie cutter.  Bought with dog treats in mind of course - I can't remember the last time I made cut out cookies.
eh, can we hurry this up mom?

The recipe I had was extremely simple - milk, butter, cheese and whole wheat flour.  I believe I found it on bark post and it came from pinterest, but I can't be 100% sure.  It's been dog eared for quite some time (pun intended - haha). 

2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup grated cheese, 2 tbsp melted butter, 3/4 cup of milk.  Mix together, roll out (use as much flour as needed so nothing sticks), and cut.  

Bake at 375˚ for 15 minutes.  Make sure they are all the same thickness, unless you want a mixture of crunchy and chewy ones.

Beware: if you are on any sort of 'no cheese' diet, you may want to leave the house while these are baking.  The smell of baked Parmesan cheese filled the house.  I wanted to eat these treats when they came out of the oven. 

I stick my tongue out at this waiting while they bake and cool nonsense.


Not pictured: The crazed, tail wagging, "here's my paw", "aren't I cute", "I'll do whatever you want me to do!!!!!" dog that existed after having one of these.   She was too much of a spaz to take a picture. 

My friend Jill owns a Doggie Day Care* in East Boston, and I am able to help her out from time to time.  She shares her home with 2 adorable princesses, Carina (min pin) and Anabel (German short hair pointed).  Oshie loves them both and wanted to make sure she shared her homemade treats with them (ok, not really.  She would have been content to eat them all herself).  None the less, these treats have now been stamped with approval from Miss Carina herself. 

The best part about all of this?  Treats to fill up Oshie's new treat jar!

*The Dog Port at 236 Sumner St, East Boston MA 02128
https://www.facebook.com/TheDogPort

Comments

  1. Oshie looks like such a happy girl! I have to try making these for Riley!! Thanks for the recipe!! 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts