Who doesn't love cookies?

Everyone has their favorite cookie - Sugar cookies, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, Oreo - you name it, odds are someone absolutely loves it.

Yesterday was commercial baking day in class and I choose the all American chocolate chip cookie.  Half the batch made with nuts on chefs request, they came out of the oven in all their delicious, chewy gooeyness.  And each bit brought me back to a different memory.  And even today, cold and a tad harder then yesterday, they brought back memories of eating the chocolate chip cookies in my Nana's kitchen as a kid.  And it all made me smile.


I honestly can't think of something that goes better with cookies then ice cream.  And I say this only because I don't like milk (which is usually peoples go-to).  Since the day was 'easy', a classmate and I set out to see what fun kinds of ice cream we could create (and, I needed some practice with creme anglaise).  After brainstorming with our assistant, we decided to give 2 different types a whirl - Chimay and creme fraiche.

I do feel compelled to mention here that I hate sour cream - but quite enjoy creme fraiche.  What's the difference you ask? Well, let me tell you! While still a soured cream like it's American counterpart, creme fraiche contains about 28% butterfat and is soured with a bacterial culture.  Less sour than sour cream, it has a higher fat content (which is probably why I think that it tastes better) and won't curdle when boiled.  AND - you can make it at home if you don't want to pay the premium grocery store prices.  Simply mix 1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp buttermilk or sour cream, and let it sit at room temperature for about 24 hours.

 
Back to the ice creams - the beer recipe called for Guinness, but the school only had Chimay so we went with that.  The end result was a malty, creamy, mollasessy creation that once I get an ice cream maker will be made again.  The creme fraiche needs some tweaking, but had great potential.  And needless to say, with half a vanilla bean to spare, we made some nice, classic vanilla.  3 ice creams, 3 totally different flavors.  Quite the fun taste test that we got other chefs and assistants involved in.

A nice relaxing baking day was just what we needed, and as we all left with numerous baked goods in tow, I thought more about this.

So I want to know.....What's your favorite cookie?

Comments

Popular Posts