Just one week to go

One week from tomorrow, I will be knee deep in my first semester practicum.  8 days and I'm already nervous.

I'll pick a card. On it will be what I am responsible for writing the recipe(s) for and then executing in the kitchen.  The only thing that I know at this point is that it will be something that someone in my class has made, with techniques that we have all learned.


A few days ago, I made a list of what I wanted (er, needed) to practice.  Luckily, it wasn't nearly as long as the 3 1/2 pages of terms/techniques that we were given to study from.  But it still was long.  So like any self respecting student, I got to work.


Over the past 4 days I have made mussels, white fish, chocolate cake, hazelnut buttercream, hazelnut praline, roasted pork, rice pilaf, blanched/shocked green beans, pie crust, pizza dough, gnocchi, quiche, croissants and chocolate ganache (for the croissants). None of which I took pictures of.  That's how engrossed I was in the cooking.   I had some issues with the cake, but the buttercream made up for that.  The pie crust didn't roll out perfectly, but it was tender and flaky.


The piece de resistance of the weekend was definitly the croissants. When we learned how to make them in class, Chef warned us not to make them for friends and family.  She was right, as I'm sure that I have secured a "can you bring croissants??" request for upcoming events.


With a significant dent made in my list, you'd think that I'd feel better about the looming exam.  But nope.  Still really nervous.


Today in school is a review on the mother sauces.  Hopefully my skills at making hollandaise are as mad as my mayo making skillz.  If not, we'll add that to the list for the next 7 days.


I spent some time last night looking at the photos of things I have made this semester in an attempt to calm my nerves.  All it did was make me hungry.

Next up - finding friends to come to dinner(s) this week to eat the rest of my studying.  If you live in the area and are interested, let me know :) 

Off to practice my mother sauces.  Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular Posts