I'm not a baker....or, am I?

If you had asked me 6 months ago if I would have been happy to pull a practicum card for my midterm that had me baking, I would have said you were crazy.  But, 4 weeks ago, that is exactly what happened.



Before I stared school, I was certain that I wouldn't do well in my Tuesday class dedicated to baking.  I didn't bake - it was too scientific for me.  I like the "throw whatever you have in, and don't worry about measuring" cooking.



But somehow, over 16 weeks of baking lab, that changed.  Apparently, I love baking.  I love the science behind it.  It fascinates me that someone figured out how to make caramel, or that adding cream of tarter (made from leftovers in wine barrels after aging - another random find!) to beaten egg whites would help make them more stable.  Culinary wise, we owe so much to these people that over the centuries messed up something enough to create something great.  Because the reality is, a sourdough starter didn't happen on purpose, and what would we do without it?

So that brings us to the practicum.  After weeks of practicing, the day came, and I pulled a card that involved lady fingers, almond bavarian creme, and a fruit coulis. I smiled, and began writing out the recipe.  When I brought up my recipe to have it checked by Chef Deb, she asked if I was happy to have pulled this card.  Truth was, I was very happy. Not only had we just done this in class, I felt confident about it.

20 minutes later, I was in the kitchen.  I did mess up the lady fingers (I have since redeemed myself with a separated sponge), but the rest of it was delicious, and I was so proud of myself.


Since my practicum, I have thrown myself in to baking at home.  Turns out, I do like it.  Most times I won't choose it over savory cooking, but I do love it.  Never in my life did I think that I'd know how to bake all this stuff (without having to really look at a recipe).

My mother was always the baker in the family.  She's now offering the reigns to me.  I'm thinking that we can share.

After I make the pink princess cake for Bella's birthday that is. :)

Comments

Popular Posts