Raise a glass of....Campari

At the risk of sounding like a booze-bag (as my last post involved alcohol), I feel compelled to share my choice of my 2011 summer drink -- Campari and soda.


In keeping with my current theme of "all things Italian", I made a trip to the package store to pick up a bottle today.  This deliciously bitter aperitif was just introduced to me on Tuesday and I have to wonder where it has been all my life.


Produced in Lombardy (Milan to be exact), the recipe is a close guarded secret. Made from the from the infusion of herbs and fruit in alcohol and water, it is a bitters that is known by its deep red color.  Being one of the most beautiful drinks I have ever seen, I was immediately mesmerized.  Then I took a sip.

Unless you have spent your young adult hood sipping on this, I suggest that you do pair with soda water and some lemon juice.  The taste is strong and bitter.  But find the right balance between the aperifif and some bubbly water, and you have the perfect summer evening cocktail (and who doesn't love drinking something pink?!?!?!).

I kicked off the season this evening with my mom and her friends.  Apparently, campari was all the rage in the 70's.  I'm here to say that I'm bringing it back.  Please feel free to join the movement.


In doing additional reading on this today, I did notice that I'm a year late to the party.  Campari celebrated it's 150th birthday last summer. 

Better late than never.

Comments

Popular Posts