Self proclaimed queen of leftovers

I don't like to eat the same thing 2 days in a row.  That mentality lended itself to a lot of thrown out leftovers - until about a year ago.  I made a promise to myself that I would just get better at "recreating" the leftovers into something new.

Easier said then done.  Now, don't get me wrong, some of the creations have been amazing (the carnitas quesadillas I made in IL for example).  But for the most part, coming up with new ways to eat the same food isn't as simple as I had hoped.

Sometimes you get lucky.  After hosting 2 Thanksgivings last year, I had a mission to use up all the leftovers.   While the mashed potato gnocchi need some fine tuning, the squash muffins were to die for.

And it doesn't stop with home-cooked meals. My leftover black beans from Masona Grill on Tuesday night became yesterday's yummy nachos.  But the leftover saffron infused stock from the risotto and my left over pork from Masona didn't quite make the delicious soup I was hoping for.

I have high hopes for tonight - The leftover 'stock' from the Osso Bucco will be the future of some boneless, skinless chicken thighs are about to enjoy some braising time.  Possibly with some speatzle...but we'll see how the chicken turns out.

I've accepted that not every new creation will be tasty, and that sometimes (eeeek!) I will have to eat the same thing for more then one meal.  But in the meantime, I will continue to see what I can come up with.

Wish me luck.

Comments

  1. I agree, the carnitas quesadillas we indeed....amazing! Oh, this is Beth..not Scott...we both have google accounts and I guess I am logged into his right now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts