Pizza #7: For garlic lovers only.

I've had roasted garlic on the brain for a few weeks now.  One of the products that my new company is producing is a Roasted Garlic Jelly, so I've been thinking of ways to use it.  An obvious choice - pizza.
 I didn't have any della zona product on hand, so I had to roast my own (darn).  File roasted garlic under "super easy to do, yet super delicious".  A little foil, olive oil, salt and pepper, and 45min to 1 hour in the oven, and you have soft, creamy, yummy garlic.
 Knowing I wanted the garlic to be the star of this pizza, I opted for no tomatoes.  My friend brought over some prosciutto, which was a logical addition.  For cheese, I choose ricotta.   And, because I had it, fresh Parmesan and olive oil to finish.
Meaning "re-cooked" in Italian, I'm sure everyone is familiar with ricotta.  This soft, creamy cheese is made from recooking the whey after it has been separated from the curd.  But aside from being delicious in lasagnas, canollis and other Italian dishes, it has health benefits as well.

One 1/2 cup serving of whole milk ricotta cheese has the following:
-- 14 grams of protein, or 28% of your daily value.
-- 257 mg of calcium, or 26% of your daily recommended value. 
-- 139 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 339 mg of omega-6 fatty acids.
-- source of phosphorus (20%), zinc (10%) and selenium (26%).
-- source of Vitamin A (11% daily value), Riboflavin (14%) and Vitamin B12 (7%). 
If you liked ricotta before, there are few reasons to love it.  

And you can make it at home...but that's another post for another day.

Comments

Popular Posts