Good-bye Meowmers

2 days ago I said good-bye to my best friend.  She had been sick for a long time, and this past Thursday I was faced with no choice but to let her go.

For those of you that don't have animals, you may think it's crazy to be so upset about losing a pet.  But let me tell you, that losing her is one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through - and that's saying a lot considering the past 8 years.

The past 8 years are part of the reason why I miss her so much.  I went home to her the night I got my MS diagnosis.  I went home to her when my uncle was diagnosed with cancer.  I went home to her when my father was diagnosed with cancer.  I went home to her when my father died.  I was home with her when my uncle died.  She was my rock and my calmness during these worst days of my life.  So what do you do when that calmness is gone on another day where you need her the most? And what do you do on all other days?

I will forever miss her unconditional love, and the way she'd snuggle up with me when she knew I needed it.  And of course, the way she'd yell from behind the door b/c I couldn't get the key in fast enough, or when her water cup or food dish was empty :)

I'm very lucky to have great friends, and one of my closest was with me when I said good-bye.  Meowmers loved Tiffany, and I will always love her for being there with me.  I can do a lot alone, but I couldn't have done that.  Thank you again Tiffany.

I'm sure it will be a long time before I get used to not having her around.  I made tuna fish today and didn't have to stop her from climbing up the counter.  I had cheese and crackers yesterday and didn't have to swat anyone away from the coffee table.  I came home today to no one yelling behind the door. It's eerily quite in my apartment right now.

If you have pets, please do me a favor and give them a big squeeze or as my father used to say "a good scratch" tonight.  You're lucky to have them.

Comments

Popular Posts