Pizza #5: A trip to Asia on a Tuesday night.

When my classmate Simone and I were studying for our final practicum, we were experimenting with flavor combinations.  Focused on Asian flavors, we made a sesame oil bechemel, which was fantastic.  Since then, I have been looking for an excuse to make it again.
 Tonight I found it.

Pizza #5 was a white pizza: sesame bechemel, braised baby bok choy and shitakes, bean sprouts and topped with scallions and chili oil. 

After a trip to Russo's last week, my fridge has been full of asian veggies.  Some I have never heard of (future pizza yet to come) and some that I cook with often: bok choy, bean sprouts and shitakes.

For those of you not familiar with these ingredients, here is a little cheat sheet:

Native to Japan, China and Korea, shitakes have long been a symbol of longevity in Asia.  These delicious, earthy mushrooms have been used medicinally for more than 6,000 year.

Bok choy, or Chinese cabbage, comes in a variety of sizes.  I had tiny baby ones tonight, that were bright, delicate and with just enough cabbage flavor.   Use it anywhere you want/need cabbage.
 Made with hot chile peppers, chili oil is something that I believe every kitchen should have - even if you don't love spicy foods.  Trust me. 
 For my first attempt at a 'white pizza', this was the perfect combination of creaminess, flavor and spice.  
 I'll be making this pizza again.  And you should make it to.  Trust me.


Comments

Popular Posts