I choose vodka. And Chaka Chan.

I used to be strictly a gin gal.  Hated vodka. I had a boyfriend years back that loved the stuff, and I never got it.  The usual cocktail order on a nice occasion was a Grey Goose on the rocks for him, and a Bombay Sapphire for me.  I'm sure my love of the 'blue bottle' came from my dad, but I have always loved it. 

I'm not even sure when it happened, but vodka slowly became the cocktail of choice.  Perhaps it's because I have myself convinced that if I have vodka sodas, I'm drinking more water than booze. Don't laugh - I've had many a minimal hang over on this logic. Or it may be because you have so many flavors to choose from.  Which leads me to this weeks discovery.

I went to the liquer store the other day and was astounded at the number of flavored vodkas out there.  I went in to simply get some black cherry flavored vodka, and left with 2 bottles and a mental list of what I wanted to try next. 


I did leave with a bottle of bottle of black cherry, but also with a bottle of dragon fruit flavored vodka (ginger was a close runner-up). 

For those of you unfamiliar with it, the dragon fruit is a tropical fruit grown in Southeast Asia, Mexico, Central and South America, and Israel.


Actually a type of cactus, and the fruit comes in 3 colors: 2 have pink skin, but with different colored flesh (one white, the other red), and yellow with white flesh. Dragon fruit is low in calories and offers numerous nutrients, including Vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, plus fiber and antioxidants. And not to mention, it's delicious. I fell in love with it in Thailand and have been lucky enough to find it at Russo's in Watertown on occasion. 


I had it the other night with some soda water....and it was a perfect summer drink. Light, fruity, and reminded me of being in a tropical place....ahhhhh.

While I do still enjoy gin, this girl is now more versitle when it comes to her cocktails. 

And in the immortal works of Bridget Jones, "I choose vodka.  And Chaka Chan".

Comments

Popular Posts