Let's talk cheese

My heart breaks for those souls who are lactose intolerant.  Cheese truely is one of life's little pleasures.

As previously mentioned, I spent 45 minutes with Ashif, the cheese guy at American Provisions in South Boston.  I came home with 4 varieties, but could have bought the whole store.  I highly recommend that you stop in and bring some of these (or the other countless types that they have) home for your own 'cheese nibble night'.  You won't regret it.   



First up was Mimolette, a mild cow's milk cheese traditionally produced around the city of Lille, France.  Also know as 'Boulle de Lille', it is aged 6 weeks to 2 years.  The flavors change during this maturing process, and I only was able to taste the young version.  Bright orange, it's an amazing visual addition to any cheese tray.  Delicious.



Move over Manchego.  Roncal was next on the plate.  Also called 'queso del valle del Roncal', it is a sheep's milks cheese from the Pyrenees in Spain. Traditionally from the Lacha and Rasa breeds of sheep, this cheese is aged at least 4 months.  Its sharp, nutty and is (in my opinion) much better then any manchego you have tasted.  So the next time you reach for a spanish hard cheese, trust me and go with the Roncal.



I used to HATE blue cheese.  Realizing that I should like it, I kept trying and trying until I got to a point where I now love it.  Last night I had a delicious Fourme d'ambert from Auvergne, France.  This cows milk cheese is one of Frances oldest cheeses.  Matured several months,   it is mild, soft and melt in your mouth amazing.  And I'm told a great addition to salads.  Good thing I have a little left. 

I'm not sure if I should be sharing this next one with you, as there is limited production of it.

  

Oma Von Trappe from Vermont.  Yup. That Von Trappe family.  Oma (German for grandmother) Von Trappe is named after Erica Von Trappe who started the farm in VT.   A cow's milk cheese with earthy flavors and silky, complex flavors that not many American cheeses have.  While I sipped wine, it apparently pairs very well with beers and can easily share a plate with dried fruit or a fig spread.  

And please, feel free to belt out "Edelweiss" or any other of your favorite Sound of Music songs.  You know you'll want to. 

Comments

Popular Posts