My August love

Tomatoes.  Plain and simple.

I've always loved them, but there was something special about the heirloom tomatoes that the farmers market was selling me every week.  They were honestly the best tomatoes I have ever had.  I had them for dinner one night.  Just tomatoes.  And I only stopped eating them because I ran out.  And I went back the next day to get more.  I would eat them on the way back to the car/bus.  I'd be eating them now if I could figure out how to nibble on one while typing.

They aren't just delicious - they are amazing beautiful.  All colors, swirls, sizes - each bite more succulent then the last.

I know that not everyone shares my obsession (eh, passion) for tomatoes, and as painful as that is for me, I am trying to be ok with it.

However, I will never be ok with 'good' restaurants not sharing my love and respect for them.  I recently had dinner at KO Prime and ordered the heirloom tomato salad.  It was the night after I had tomatoes for dinner, so I knew how amazing the crop out there was.  The salad came with WAY too much oil and vinegar, and just a bunch of other stuff on the plate that wasn't necessary.  Just give me a plate of tomatoes....Something that pure and delicious demands to be treated with care.  Don't mess it up because you are trying to be fancy. I don't have the time or patience for that.

I will get off my soapbox for the "I heart tomato" club now, but will leave you with this fun fact that I learned yesterday - a tomato has more vitamin C then an orange.  So think twice the next time you need a vitamin C boost.

Comments

Popular Posts